Pekepals Q & A Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pekepals Q & A Board

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eating Poop

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BLACKSTONE
Admin
BLACKSTONE

Female
Number of posts : 13
Pekingese Names : Buddha, Sasi, Ali, Chet, Nicky
Pekingese Experience in Years : 24 years
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Eating Poop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Poop   Eating Poop EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 12:54 am

PickePekingese wrote:
Dogs eat their poop because they can still smell the food they have eaten in their poop. Some dog foods are not processed properly, that is why.

Hi Nicole, that's a great answer but only part of the answer. I've learned more on this topic over the last 3 years since I replied previously to the question. Below is some great information on this topic that I found on PetMD (http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_coprophagia_and_pica?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=eating%20feces&utm_campaign=Dogs&gclid=CMiN2N6Q6asCFQhrgwodET7XMw):

Coprophagia and Pica in Dogs

Pica is a medical issue referring to a dog's craving of a non-food item and the subsequent eating of said item. Coprophagia, meanwhile, is the eating and ingesting of feces.

Generally, neither of these conditions are the result of an underlying disease, however, it can occur. Fortunately, there are treatment options in these types of cases, or behavior modification practices that can be implemented if it is a non-medical issue.

The condition or disease described in this medical article can affect both dogs and cats. If you would like to learn more about how this disease affects cats, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.

Symptoms and Types

You may observe the dog eating dirt, clay, rocks, soap, or other items that can endanger the dog’s health. The largest organ system that is affected by this behavior is the gastrointestinal tract, especially if foreign objects are being swallowed. You may notice that the dog is vomiting, has loose stools, or has diarrhea. There may be weakness and lethargy in the dog.

Causes

There are several possible causes of dogs eating their own feces or other non-food items, including malnutrition, vitamin deficiency, increased appetite, or conditions such as diabetes, or thyroid disease. Parasites can be another of the causes for this behavior.

Sometimes a dog will eat their feces if there are undigested articles of food in their stool. Mothers with newborns will also commonly eat the feces of their newborns. As such, puppies may eat feces as an observation of the mother's behavior or as part of exploration. In addition, a dog may eat feces as a response to recent punishment, to get attention or because it desires to clean its environmental area

Medical Causes:

Inflammatory bowel disease
Diabetes
Intestinal parasites
Anemia
Increased hunger
Neurological disease
Vitamin deficiency
Malnutrition
Thyroid disease

Diagnosis

Your veterinarian will be looking to distinguish between medical and behavioral causes. A full physical examination will be recommended to rule out underlying medical causes. If it is not due to a medical condition, the veterinarian will conduct a full history on the dog, including its diet and appetite, handling practices, and information about its environment. This will assist the veterinarian in developing a proper treatment plan.

Treatment

The treatment will also depend on whether the underlying cause is medical or behavioral in nature. For instance, if it is behavioral in nature, your veterinarian may recommend changing the dog's environment or using forms of behavior modification, such as a muzzle. Moreover, limit the dog's access to any non-food items in the home.

Living and Management

Follow up is recommended during the first few months following the initial treatment of the dog.

Prevention

Prevention of this type of behavior will require limiting the dog's access to non-food items, or applying a bitter or pungent taste to such items to discourage regular consumption or chewing. Keeping the dog's area clean and disposing of waste promptly will also bar the dog's access to feces.

In addition, dietary needs must be met to be sure that the dog is being supplied with all of its vitamin and nutritional needs, and to be sure that the dog is being fed the required amount of food.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pekepals.com
PickePekingese

Female
Number of posts : 25
Pekingese Names : Picke
Pekingese Experience in Years : 1
Registration date : 2011-10-14

Eating Poop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Poop   Eating Poop EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Dogs eat their poop because they can still smell the food they have eaten in their poop. Some dog foods are not processed properly, that is why.
Back to top Go down
BLACKSTONE
Admin
BLACKSTONE

Female
Number of posts : 13
Pekingese Names : Buddha, Sasi, Ali, Chet, Nicky
Pekingese Experience in Years : 24 years
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Eating Poop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Poop   Eating Poop EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:06 am

Hmm, that is interesting that she brings it to you. It is really hard to get them to stop eating their poop. Some dogs are poop eaters and some are not. The reasons why they do are unclear. Monet is very young still so it will take time to potty train her. Best thing to do is when she poops anywhere but on the pee pee pad is to take the poop and put it on the pee pee pad. When she brings it to you, take it and put it on the pad. Make sure that you show her that you are doing this. If she does potty on the pad reward her with a treat and tell her good girl. That's the best advice I have for you Phyliss. Maybe someone else has some suggestions. I've had 3 poop eaters and never could break them of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pekepals.com
Phyllis

Male
Number of posts : 17
Pekingese Names : Leo & Monet
Pekingese Experience in Years : 2yrs & 4mos
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Eating Poop Empty
PostSubject: Eating Poop   Eating Poop EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 8:02 pm

monet my new baby eats her poop when she is on the porch. she won't poop on the puppy pad but directly on the porch. she doesn't eat it if she poops in the house or out in the yard.

i am having a time house breaking her. just when i think we have progress she regresses. i take her out on a regular basis and watch her. but when i am washing dishes she will sometimes sneak behind one of the end table in the living room and poop - then when i come in she brings it out to me like she is proud of what she did. that is if leo my other peke doesn't rat her out.

i have been using the kennel to train her. any other suggestions.

sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eating Poop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Poop   Eating Poop Empty

Back to top Go down

Eating Poop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pekepals Q & A Board :: Pekingese Health Questions :: Nutrition-
Jump to: